Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What is Paleo you ask

Alright so the question now is "What is Paleo".  The Paleo (Paleolithic) lifestyle is basically eating Whole Foods or foods our bodies are designed to eat.  As my sister likes to call us "Hunters and Gatherers".  We have eliminated grains and wheat, anything processed, alcohol (yeah right... 20% rule.. I'll get to that later because we all know I love my wine!) seed oils, sugar and starches.  Eliminating grains goes as far as eating grass fed, happy animals.    For those of you that dont' know, I grew up in a household of hunters and I fought eating venison all of my life.  This is the first year that I actually cared whether Bill shot a deer.  He unfortunately, did not and now I must mooch off my Father.  #Iheartfamily!  Dairy is also an "eliminatable" (yes, it's a word, maybe...not) food but I do allow full fat raw dairy in the house.  I know, I know... where do your kids get their calcium.  I will address that at a later date.

This transition is a simple one for me but as expected is more difficult for the Bill and the kids.  Charlie is a huge bread lover!  I am thinking that psychologist bills may be in my future.  He actually woke up the other day and said "Mom, I had a dream you bought pancake mix. (heads to pantry and looks in, falls to floor) You didn't buy pancake mix".  My heart broke but it pushed me to open one of my Paleo cookbooks and find a pancake recipe.  The one I found involved pumpkin, but he seemed to enjoy it.  There are ways to still enjoy foods, they just need to be Paleoized. (Yes, it's a word) 

The other part of the Paleo Lifestyle is to commit to regular sleep and to get out and play!  I have no problem with the sleep part.  I have been called a "Sleepwhore!"  No need to mention names, Lucy... The playtime is two parts for me; exercise and play with the kids.  I enjoy running and have always enjoyed strength training.  Playing with the kids has been so rewarding.  When the kids were little, I had no choice but to play with them.  I remember when they were all under the age of 5 and I couldn't wait for them to entertain themselves or play with each other!  Once that happened, I lost sight of spending that type of time with them.  I have made it my goal to try and do something with all of them at least 20 minutes each weeknight, more on the weekends.  It sounds like a little bit of time but between homework and activities, sometimes it is difficult to get in.  I know they enjoy that time too.  My favorite part is seeing their reactions when I ask them to do something.  Last night when it was getting dark, I asked them who wanted to go outside and play football.  They were so excited!  Of course, Charlie went out in his shorts while everyone else had on hats and scarves and we had the best time! 

In a nutshell, that is what the Paleo Lifestyle means to me and my family.  Not only are we all feeling healthier but we are becoming a happier family.  My patience level is the best it has been in years.  My oldest is 10 so I am going to need all of the patience I can get in a few years.  

Lastly, I haven't come up with a Christmas card yet this year... would it be tacky to have each of us hold a letter to spell out PALEO? 

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I enjoyed reading your blog:) I was defiantly wondering what paleo meant!! For me that would be terribly difficult as I am somewhat of a carb whore and my husband even worse probably a carb gigolo!(not sure how to spell that) anyways I'm jealous as to how clean your body's must feel! I think it's fantastic & your kids will adapt:) have fun!

    ReplyDelete