Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy New Year!

About a year ago, I was chatting with a friend about how busy our lives were and she was expressing her frustration with trying to make healthy food choices.  I went on to tell her what my favorite lunch was at the time.  Her response to me was, "You have way too much time on your hands".  I was floored and that comment has stuck with me... obviously...!

I didn't know how to take the comment.  I remember counting my blessings that I could be a stay at home Mom, but did that really mean I had too much time?  Was she implying that I sat around eating bon bon's all day?  Even though I do not have a job outside of our home, supporting my husband, raising three children, keeping up on the house, driving kids to and fro, making/keeping appointments, running errands, walking dogs (yes, we have three now!), and keeping myself healthy is a full time job. 

Back in January, 2011, I started working out with a trainer again.  She and her husband work and she would always tell me about these fabulous meals that she made.  Her husband bakes like the best of them too!  I was shocked that they could do that!  Did I mention they have three kids?  The one thing she always told me was that you need to be organized.  If you #haveaplan, you can have healthy meals every day of the week.  KISS!!  So simple!  If you want to read more about her, click here to meet the pint sized paleo's!

When I talk to other parents, I often hear how busy they are running their kids from one event to the next.  Dinner is going through the drive thru. It has become the norm to do this.  I was one of those people for a very long time.  Does "let's just order a pizza" sound familiar? 

We should not be allowed to make these excuses anymore!  If you can't get to a local farmers market, you can order your meat on line!  I order a lot of my meat from US Wellness Meats.  Stock that freezer!  Come on, half of the people in Wisconsin hunt!  Fill it with venison!  If you have meat and vegetables, you have a meal.  That's another line that I will not forget.. thank you PaleoMama!  I have been eating leftover dinners for breakfast this week and it is amazing.  The kids laughed when I asked them who wanted spaghetti this morning for breakfast.  Did she just say spaghetti??  Yes, I did, my noodles were spaghetti squash.  Joy!

Now, I have been really enjoying the holidays.  We kicked it off with our awesome vacation, followed by birthday parties and Christmas dinners.  I am currently typing this while sipping on a glass of wine and my pants unbuttoned!  TMI!  Bill has been bringing home these gift baskets from clients and I have been taste testing them a little bit.  My point is that I need to reset my system.  I need to prepare this week to get back on the Paleo train and detox starting January 2nd.  I challenge you to stop making excuses for "grabbing a bite to eat", take an hour on Sunday's to plan your meals.  I realized after a long time that the comment my friend made to me was because she was doing what the norm seemed to be to her.  I see that I was making myself and my health a priority, you should too!  It all starts with what you eat.  When you eat good, you feel good... when you feel good it trickles into every other part of your life.  It's time to change our perspective or the norm.  If I can do it, anyone can do it!

So, the 21 day sugar detox starts January 2, 2012. This is a link to the Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/21-Day-Sugar-DetoxMilwaukee-WI/136811979767013?sk=wall   Like the page to get support from myself and Karina Stuke.  Once you like the page, you can download the sugar detox manual.  The manual was written by Diane Sanfilippo.  Her website is www.balancedbites.com  Many of you have seen me wearing her shirt "Bacon is rad. Gluten is bad"  LOVE IT!!! 

When I was first asked to do this detox back in August, my first thought was heck no!  I imagined unlimited amounts of salad with limited amounts of meat and zero of anything else!  A lot of the men I talk to think they will be hungry the entire 21 days because how can a sugar detox be beneficial to a larger male??  You will see in the manual that if you are hungry... EAT!  There are more "Can foods" than there are "Can't foods".  I have mentioned in a previous blog post that this isn't about counting calories or weighing your food, it is about eating Real Foods.

Let's do this!  Let's detox!  I'll be there with you.  Again, the facebook page is to help be a support system and provide answers to your questions.  Click Like Now!  You will not be disappointed.

Peace!

1 comment: